Wednesday 8 April 2015

Web Presence (Blog, Behance, and Website Proposal)

After Danny was talking to us about looking at peoples Behance projects as a guide to how we could be putting together our design boards and what should be put on them.

At the moment I don't think I have enough work that I would consider worthy of being put in a portfolio on the merits of the final outcome alone to merit having a website of my own, and having a Behance page seems like a good way for me to display my work as it will also display the merits of my thought process. My Behance page can be found here.

Given that I was contacted a while back through my blog, I deemed it necessary to personalise it slightly so it says a bit more about me. The fish at the top of the blog have been there for a while, but I changed the colours so they matched the colour scheme for the rest of the blog, which just shows an extra bit of thought. 

A portfolio website of my own would have to be simple and easy to navigate, as well as having a clear way of displaying my process. Reducing the site to 4 pages that all link to each other keeps the site simple, and having each page fit the screen size, navigation is simple as scrolling isn't needed. The 4 pages would be:

  • Home (Displaying my work)
  • About Me
  • Blog (Displaying selected posts from my uni blogs)
  • Contact Me

Development of Website Proposal

I tried using a golden ratio grid like in my personal branding, but found that this wasn't a very practical approach to take for developing a website grid that has some flexibility. As a second choice I decided to use a modular grid based around a 12x12 central area for content, which I decided on because of how it's easily divisible into 2, 3, 4, and 6 columns and rows, which allows for a lot of flexibility. After allowing for a border and menu bar at the top, the full grid will be 14x15.

The colours of the border are taken from the vector of the fish used in my printed personal branding, although I decided to use Helvetica rather than Gotham because I don't like how Gotham looks at small sizes on screen.

Home

Examples of my work fit within the 12x12 grid, with gaps appearing where the photo's don't fit. Each of the projects has a name and the reason for its creation, overlaid onto it along with my logo as a brief explanation of the project as well as being a deterrent from it being used without permission. Clicking on any of the images would bring it up larger in a pop-out. The circles at the bottom of the page show what section of work is currently being viewed, when my portfolio increases to the point where I'd need/want more than one page, it would automatically scroll through the work, with the highlighted circle changing accordingly. The page is called 'Home' rather than 'Work' because it helps SEO.

My Blog

A live version of my design practice blog will be embedded into the website for easy access to see what I've been doing recently. This allows for the user to see the development process and research I undertake. A link for the full blog is in bold in the text.

About Me

A brief explanation of my interests outside of graphic design as well as my route into it. A more suitable photo would be used if I had one, this one would be more temporary, but it does reflect the relaxed nature of my attitude towards design, reflected in the description.

Contact Me

A photo of my business card immediately suggests I'm available to do payed work, but a short sentence of writing suggests that's not the be-all and end-all of why I would want to be contacted, and comes across a bit friendlier than just leaving an e-mail address.

No comments:

Post a Comment